- We each have about 100,000 hairs on the scalp.
- You need to lose about 50% of your hair before Hair loss becomes
- It is normal to lose 50-100 hairs from the head each day.
- Scalp hair grows at a rate of about 1 cm, (just under half an inch) a month.
- Each hair on the head grows for about 4-7 years before being shed.
- Approximately 40 million men and 30 million women in North America are experiencing hair loss.
Hair defines many things for women-personality, attractiveness, success, and health, social status, and even family tradition. Hair loss in women has long been considered a taboo due to social stigma. It’s much more common than most people think – roughly 30 million adult women in North America are experiencing thinning hair and hair loss, and some 50% of all women do by age 50. The psychological effects for women can be devastating.
African and Caucasians are more prone to baldness than Asians. “Today the first person a thinning hair victim talks to is likely to be their hair stylist. That’s why stylists are reaching out for more information. They’re now an important resource; the first line of defense against hair loss.” Dr. Shelley Friedman D.O.